[TenTec] Airpax circuit breaker for Orion

James C. Owen, III k4cgy_list at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 1 13:04:01 EST 2005

It is good to go the AirPax web site and read the spec's on the
circuit breakers before ordering what you THINK might work.
For the Orion I think I would go with the 20A, the same as with
the OMNI and Jupiter and here is my reasoning. Go to the webs
site and follow along
http://www.airpaxppp.com/pppsite/tproduct.html
 Since most of you are using the Fast trip I will start there
though I think the instant is the better choice.

Using a 20A breaker
The fast break at 100% rating WILL NOT trip in one HOUR.
At 135% rating (27A) it will trip in .3-7 seconds.
At 150% rating (30A) it will trip in .2-5 seconds.
At 200% rating (40A) it will trip in .1-2 seconds.
At 400% rating (80A) it will trip in .03-.5 seconds.

If you get a 22A breaker then these trip points are at 29.7, 33,
44, 88 amps. How fast and at what current do you want it to trip.
I think that if I drew 30amps I would want it to trip in no move
than one second and that MAY NOT  happen even with a 20A breaker.

Now lets look at the 20A instant breaker.

The instant break at 100% rating will not trip in one HOUR.
At 135% rating (27A) it may trip.
At 150% rating (30A) it will trip in .1 seconds MAX.
We don't need to look at other currents from this point.

I bought a 20A Fast breaker and one time I saw 26A on the Astron
RS-35M meter and the breaker didn't trip so I killed the power
after about 5 seconds. At this time I went back to the 18A
instant breaker I had used with the Corsair II and now it will
trip at a max of about 24.3A though it happens so fast I can't
really tell but it's over 20A. Therefore with my Jupiter I use
the 18A instant though a 20A would be ok. With the Orion I think
that the 20A would be the best choice though a 22A MIGHT be ok if
you're willing to accept 33A and up to 5 seconds before trip.

73 Jim K4CGY