[TenTec] Ten-Tec 706 Microphone

Reed w4jz at ispwest.com
Fri Dec 23 00:36:29 EST 2005

Thanks Ray for the reply. I talked with another ham last night & found, with my voice, 11 o'clock is working fine.  12 o'clock  have peaks of distortion.

I set the mic gain pot, inside the rig, while talking normal into the mic with mic gain, on front of rig, set at 9 o'clock.  Adjust pot to where ALC light just starts to blink on voice peaks, but even after doing this I had to increase mic gain to 11 o'clock to increase audio for other station to hear me well.  ALC light is blinking as I speak into mic, but no distortion was detected at this setting.

I have not had any problems with mic picking up RF while using the desk mic. I only use coax antennas & no station ground, but antennas are grounded.  Never had any problems with RF, TVI, or getting into phones even while running 1KW out.  Disconnect coax from rig to antenna electronic switch in yard after each use &  a 1400 watt APC-UPS on AC.

If you are using long wire or open wire feeder to antenna & no station ground you might pick up RF in shack. The metal plate on the bottom of the mic stand has a ground wire that might not be making good connection also. You might want to remove plate & check the connection.

73,

Reed  W4JZ