[TenTec] Initial comments about ORION II

Martin, AA6E martin.ewing at gmail.com
Mon Dec 26 14:28:27 EST 2005

If you're listening to white noise only, you'd expect the audio power
to be proportional to bandwidth (assuming flat audio response and no
AGC).  If you're listening to a CW note in the passband, the audio
from the signal should not change.

This does not automatically improve S/N, because your ear is pretty
good at rejecting the noise background on its own.  Effectively, you
provide a filter of a few x 100 Hz in your little grey cells.  It may
be actually harder to copy CW at the narrowest bandwidths because your
ear can't discriminate so well, especially when you have pulses like
lightning crashes.  (My pet theory)

73 Martin AA6E