[TenTec] D 104 and Argonaut V

Geoffrey S. Mendelson gsm at mendelson.com
Tue Dec 27 13:08:17 EST 2005

On Tue, Dec 27, 2005 at 09:56:02AM -0800, William wrote:
> My son gave me a nice D 104 Silver Eagle, the one with the pre amp-I am
> guessing since it has the standard mic cable, a two wire cable which I
> assume is for powering the amp and a small switch on one side.

I've never seen one of those. The amplified D-104s that I have use an internal
9 volt battery. I assume that someone decided that they did not want to
rely on a battery and added a power cable and switch.

I'm not sure of the specs for power, but many people with Kenwood transcivers
that supply 8 volts use that for their D-104s. I did not, I just used the
internal 9 volt battery. Since they are over $5.00 each here, I may just
do it next time I need to replace the battery on one of my amplified stands.

> I would like to use this with my Argonaut V and need to know what voltage
> should be supplied and any recommendations on setting the gain via the small
> pot in the base.

Start in the middle and and adjust the mic gain and and the pot until it
sounds good. Or if you prefer, leave the mic gain where it always is, start
at the lowest setting for the pot and increase it until you get what you
want.

It depends upon whether you plan on switching mics and how often.

Geoff.
IL Voice: (07)-7424-1667  IL Fax: 972-2-648-1443 U.S. Voice: 1-215-821-1838
The trouble with being a futurist is that when people get around to believing
you, it's too late. We lost. Google 2,000,000:Hams 0.