[TenTec] D 104 and Argonaut V

Robert & Linda McGraw K4TAX RMcGraw at Blomand.Net
Tue Dec 27 13:49:00 EST 2005

The G-Stands which have the internal base mounted amplifier does require a
9V battery installed in the base.  The PTT bar on the side has contacts that
are used to turn the amp in the base on and off.  There is, to my knowledge,
no provision for powering the amp from an external source.  Do note that the
switching arrangement on the PTT bar switch does provide a make before break
set of contacts.  These should be used to switch the DC for the amp thus
preventing a small thump when switching.  The other set of contacts should
ground the input of the amp thus preventing the pop associated with the
switching.  To confirm correct wiring, if you squeeze the bar slowly the
transmit should be activated before the audio is activated. As you release
the bar slowly, the audio should stop before the PTT releases the
transmitter.

As to the 2 wire mike cable,  be it coiled or straight, white is audio,
shield is shield/ground, and black is PTT.  This is unless someone has
replace it with something else.  Anyway, remove the 3 screws that hold the
bottom cover on.  There you will find a terminal strip to which all
connections can be made.  And there should be a schematic attached to the
bottom plate on the inside.

While the pot is accessible through the hole in the base plate,  normally
about 50% will work in most all applications.  Turn it fully clockwise and
note the position, turn it fully counterclockwise and note the position and
then set it about 1/2 way in between the two.  Counterclockwise is least as
long as some diligent sole hasn't changed things.

If you need a schematic, let me know and I'll scan mine and send you a JPG.
Or it may be on the internet, I haven't looked.

73
Bob, K4TAX