[TenTec] D 104 and Argonaut V

Geoffrey S. Mendelson gsm at mendelson.com
Tue Dec 27 16:21:28 EST 2005

On Tue, Dec 27, 2005 at 03:44:20PM -0500, CATFISHTWO at aol.com wrote:
> I am just curious, but I have personally [never] cared for the D-104
> mic setup. I
> have had several over the years and currently have 2, one set up for a  swan
> three drifty, and the other set of for my Orion.  These are big  heavy mic's
> hard to hold by hand , take a ton of pressure to key, and take a lot  of desk
> space when not in use.

> can someone please explain the attraction of a D-104

Are you refering to the hand mike or the stand mike?

I've never even seen a hand version in person, But I have several of the
stand version.

They do get in the way but I've gotten into the habit of putting the ones
that are not in use up on top of my second shelf of transceivers as I only
talk on one at a time. :-)

As a stand mike they are IMHO excelent, though I prefer for SSB the
10-DA dynamic head which is interchangeable. I especialy like the
"deluxe" version that has a push bar on the base along with the sequeeze
handle, which I do find anoying.

I'm a bit of a tinkerer and have taken apart several hand mikes and replaced
the springs with softer ones.

Many older rigs do not need the impedance matcher, so with a little rewiring
you could remove it (not very heavy) or the 9v battery, much heavier. This may
also be a good reason to "steal" DC from the rig.

If you do have a hand one working or not, that you don't want, I'd gladly
take it if you would send it to me for free. :-)

Geoff.
IL Voice: (07)-7424-1667  IL Fax: 972-2-648-1443 U.S. Voice: 1-215-821-1838
The trouble with being a futurist is that when people get around to believing
you, it's too late. We lost. Google 2,000,000:Hams 0.