[TenTec] D 104 and Argonaut V

Robert & Linda McGraw K4TAX RMcGraw at Blomand.Net
Tue Dec 27 17:59:58 EST 2005

I've used D-104 mikes with the crystal element and the G-Stand (UG version)
since about 1959.  As to the PTT bar on the side, I simply slide the base
clamp up the stand and let the VOX in the radio do the work.  The hand never
gets tired this way.

The D-104 and the TUG-Stand on my Omni VI Plus gets excellent audio reports.
This does require the stand with the transistor amplifier [TUG-Stand] in the
base as the input Z of the radio is in the order of 50K ohms, thus much too
low for the mike element to drive direct.

A point for all to note, the crystal element used in the D-104 is extremely
delicate with regard to temperature and moisture.  Either will cause serious
problems which typically results in poor or thin audio reports.  That of
course presumes the element isn't dead completely.  There is the D-104C
which uses a ceramic element thus eliminating these concerns, but it's not
noted for a great sound, and is usually described as a bit thin.

I really believe that many folks get bad audio reports for 1 or more of 3
basic reasons: (a) the element is bad {see above}; or (b) the very high
impedance element is trying to drive a low impedance {much less than 1
megohm} input; or (c) the preamp gain in the mike base is driving the front
end mike stage of the radio into distortion at which point, the mike gain
located after the first audio stage, is not effective.

The attraction of the D-104 is the fact that it has a very high output level
under normal voice conditions.  With tube type audio stages, less
amplification was then required and thus less hum being introduced and less
likely for RF feedback was the underlying benefit.  Frequency response is
typically tailored to the male voice with a bit of rise in the upper mid
range to improve speech intelligibility.  Frequency response then dropped
off rapidly above 3 KHz which minimized the amount of wasted energy in the
transmitter modulator stages and provided "self limiting" transmitter
spectrum utilization.

The hand mikes are reported to be of ceramic element content and do not
sound as full as the "lollypop" version.

73
Bob, K4TAX