[TenTec] Orion Transmitted Audio Question

Barry N1EU n1eu at netscape.net
Sun Jan 2 07:46:32 EST 2005

Joe, I heard the same compression effect as you until I turned off the AGC in the second rx.  The effect is also not heard in the Orion monitor (its subreceiver).

I haven't used the specific mics you have.  If you need to set the gain very high with them, this could be the cause of the low level noise you hear on your tx sig.  If this is the case, some external mic preamplification would probably clean it up although you might check whether other stations actually are hearing the noise in a qso.

73,
Barry N1EU

Joe Giacobello <k2xx at swva.net> wrote:

>I have successfully used the Studio One and Heil HM-10 mike with the
>Orion.  However, I recently got a bad audio report with the HM-10
>despite the fact that the signal looked clean on my scope.  As a result,
>I started carefully listening to my audio on a second receiver, and
>there does seem to be some kind of low level oscillation and other noise
>with the HM-10.  But I also noticed with both mikes that there is some
>kind of AGC action or compression going on.  (BTW, the speech processor
>is off.)
>
>For instance, when using the Studio One, the audio sounds OK as long as
>I'm speaking, but if I pause for a short time the background noise
>slowly increases to a level that is quite noticeable.  With the HM-10,
>the background noise increases until I hear the oscillation and other
>crud.  It's as if I were using processing.  I haven't received any bad
>audio reports with the Studio One, but I wonder if this compression
>effect is normal or is there something haywire with my setup?
>
>I'd appreciate hearing whether or not others are experiencing this same
>behavior.

Switch to Netscape Internet Service.

Netscape. Just the Net You Need.