[TenTec] Re: From Omni V to Jupiter?

Paul DeWitte K9OT k9ot at mhtc.net
Wed Jan 12 23:48:24 EST 2005

>From Peg KB9LIE:

Bill, I had a Jupiter w/built-in tuner. Actually still have it and like it
for the outstanding receive audio and general coverage receive. However,
when I added a TT Hercules II amplifier to the setup, it was time for a
different rig. I chose the Omni V since it matches my style and talents
pretty well, basically meaning no need for a top-class rig with a variety of
filter choices.

The Jupiter uses a "multi" control knob that adjusts both receive audio
level (volume) and power output. When using the Herc II, I kept adjusting
the Jupiter's power output when it was supposed to be the volume and vice
versa. My Herc wants about 45 watts drive, not 100!

So if you plan on using an amp, the Jupiter may not be the best choice.
Other than that, I would have kept it as my primary base rig.

73 de Peg KB9LIE in wet, muddy  SW Wisconsin

PS: The Omni V was a top-class rig when it first came out, compared to
others available, or at least I'm told it was....