[TenTec] INRAD Omni VI roofing filter kit - success

Chuck Guenther ni0c at earthlink.net
Fri Jan 14 07:31:00 EST 2005

N6KB wrote:
"I understand why someone with a non plus or version 3 upgraded Omni VI would want the Inrad modification, in order to get another narrow 1st IF filter option."

The "non plus" Omni VI has only one NAR filter switch, which can be either on or off, so options are limited.  I have my Inrad roofing filter hooked up so that it is switched in along with my downstream 9 MHz IF filter, when the NAR switch is engaged.  The only way to gain another option would be to keep the NAR switch hooked up as-is (which is tempting as there is little slack in the cable), and hard-wiring the relay on the roofing filter to V+, so that it is engaged as soon as the rig is turned on. The disadvantage of doing it this way would be that your mode options would be limited by the bandwidth of the new roofing filter.

With the VI+, or Opt. 3, two NAR switches are available (one additional bit of information), so there are four possible switch combinations to provide filtering "options."

73,

Chuck  NI0C