[TenTec] Thanks to all my Orion is performing better but,

w4tje w4tje at mindspring.com
Mon Jan 17 15:03:18 EST 2005

Jim,
my computer has always made my orion noisy on 80 and 160. no problems on
any other band.
it did the same thing to my ts-870, and to my ts-850 before that.
i have tried ferrite cores and beads on all leads, but it does no good.
now, when i get on the low bands, the computer gets turned off, and the
problem is solved. my noise level falls by abt 6 to 7
s-units.
in my case, i think it's the computer itself, and not the monitor. it may
be related to the the plug-ins at the outlets, but i'm not going to
re-arrange the shack when all i need to do is to turn the computer off for
low band operation.
interestingly enough, i have a much older computer sitting within 2 feet of
the orion that is used for packet cluster, and it doesn't bother the radio
at all.
73 de jack w4tje