[TenTec] Jupiter

Tommy aldermant at alltel.net
Tue Jan 18 08:08:45 EST 2005

In my opinion, I certainly do agree with Rick. I especially agree
with Rick that I would like to see Ten Tec concentrate on fixing the
remaining firmware bugs BEFORE any new features are added to the
Orion.

My absolutely fantastic 12 year experience with my Omni 6 and my
Titan 425 led me to have the same very high expectations for the
Orion and the Titan 3. While I have had what I consider enormous
problems for the past 17 months with both the Orion and the Titan 3,
I still have not given up on Ten Tec and/or their products. The
'misdeed' that I have probably done is concentrating on talking
about and complaining about the short comings of the Orion's
firmware, while mostly neglecting to talk about and applaud the
hardware design and making sure I ALSO talked about the positive
aspects of the Orion. BUT when one spends close to $8000 on a
retirement xcvr/amp, I personally think one certainly has the right
to expect that equipment to work flawless under normal ham operating
conditions. (The fact that I operate high speed CW does not, and
never has had a blamed thing to do with audio pops, random loss of
audio, QSK problems, random loss of RF output, etc.)

While I first tried communicating with Ten Tec privately with my
problems with the keying loop and the Titan 3, then went 'public'
with my problems on this reflector, Ten Tec has yet, even after 17
months, to acknowledge this problem exist, publically. However,
recently (within the last month) and privately, Ten Tec acknowledges
the problem as 'a firmware problem we have not been able to find',
several users have come up with a 'work around', that seems to work
for them. Of course, even with the release of v1.372, there still
remains firmware problems, however they are not insurmountable
problems. Scott at Ten Tec tried his best to be helpful and
supportive and his support helped prove the problem I was
experiencing was truely firmware and not hardware.

A reflector like this one, in my opinion, one should be able to both
blindly praise the products AND complain about the shortcomings of
the product. Unfortunately, when one complains about the products,
one finds about 5% of the respondants are truely interested in being
helpful and offering pertainant technical suggestions and the
remaining percentage of respondants are most happy, sitting safely
behind their keyboards, letting you know how stupid they think you
are...lending nothing to trying to assist other Ten Tec product
owners.

We certainly COULD help each other here, if we all just tried. Ten
Tec certainly COULD be more helpful to their customers IF they would
communicate better with us (but I DO understand Ten Tec's job at
communicating is a heck of a lot more difficult than us users!).

I have, basically, stopped my posting to this reflector about my
Orion problems because 1) it provided no solution to any of my
technical problems with my Orion, and 2) I began to get numerous
very NASTY private email's from reflector readers. AND primarily
because I got several emails from prospective Orion owners, thanking
me for being honest, but worst of all, based on my, and others,
comments about Orion firmware problems, they had decided to wait
before purchasing their own Orion. Influencing others not to buy an
Orion was never an objective of mine in posting to this reflector.

I have said this a dozen times, and I will say it again. In my
opinion the Orion has the best hardware design of any piece of ham
radio equipement of which I am aware.  On the other hand, in my
opinion, there is just no excuse what so ever, for the same firmware
problems to continue to exist month after month.

Tom - W4BQF