[TenTec] Noisy RX

Robert Carroll rlcarroll at patmedia.net
Wed Jan 19 12:06:50 EST 2005

I can't help wondering if some who are finding the Orion a noisy receiver
might not be used to listening to radios with AGC set up quite a bit
differently.  I normally run with no hang time and a fast recovery, but if
you set the AGC hang time to a value like 0.5 sec and threshold about 3uv,
and  find a nice strong cw station you will  notice you don't hear
background noise between elements, letters, or words at cw speeds in the
20's.  This is probably not the way you would want to run with lightning,
snow static, or weak signals, but  it may be something that folks finding
the receiver noisy could play with to see if it is related to the noisy
receiver impression.

Bob W2WG