[TenTec] Omni D faults cleared one remains

Tony g3zrj at morsekey.fsnet.co.uk
Sun Jan 23 04:26:19 EST 2005

Hi,
thanks to the newsgroup info here I've cured several faults on the much-abused Omni-D I bought in June 04.

ALC non operation was traced to the 1N4148 diodes on SWR unit.
The radio now works as per handbook as regards o/p power and ALC operation.

Notch filter fault turned out to be a dry joint on the 12V supply line on the board.

The remaining fault is a weird one,
with Drive and ALC controls at min, approx 10 Amps indicated on PSU current meter
with mode switch in Lock position,
on CW key down,
on SSB if PTT operated to TX, or VOX operated to TX (Vox is very sensitive and seems to trip on and off repeatedly when Vox gain up)

I would be grateful for any assistance on this fault, I would guess some sort of oscillation occurring

thanks
      Tony G3ZRJ