[TenTec] ARRL Review of FT9000

Richard Donovan n5xm at cox.net
Wed Jul 6 11:08:42 EDT 2005

      I love numbers as much as anyone.  On the other hand, I've often
wondered what real world use has to do with technical information once you
get to a certain level of performance.
      My Orion does everything I ask it to do.  I am a ragchewer, a modest
contester, a modest DX'er, and a rare SSB op.  If I had the big bucks, I
would get the big Yaesu and the big Icom, and still keep my Orion in the
center position, which means nothing.
      Please excuse my simplistic position, but what good are all these
numbers if our ears are only 70% as good when we were young?   I have a
wonderful adaptive filter in between my ears, and at some very important
level, isn't it more a matter of really knowing how to use whatever rig you
use in conjunction with your brain?  I know, desense, front end overload,
close in whatever...maybe we will be happy when we can have nano circuits
installed to replace our inner ears.  Richard, n5xm