[TenTec] ARRL Review of FT9000

Joseph Trombino Jr w2kj at bellsouth.net
Wed Jul 6 11:49:24 EDT 2005

Fellow Ten Tec'ers:

I rarely post to this list but I do have some thoughts I'd like to air
publicly.

Numbers in themselves don't mean much when equipment performance rises to
previously unheard levels of capability.  A 3rd OIP with numbers higher than
+20 dbm probably couldn't be noticed in a well designed receiver.

What disturbs me are that some QST reviews clearly avoid making negative
comments on some very poor numbers I have seen over the years on some major
manufacturers products.

I recall the Argonaut II receiving much less than glowing reports when
reviewed in QST....perhaps the reviewer was more critical than ther present
day QST reviewers.

I have use an Argo II for over ten years now and it's performance has been
outstanding.

I have seen 3rd OIP numbers at the closer 5Khz spacing now used that would
indicate hefty performance shortfalls....believe it is on the IC756 Pro III
if I recall correctly...but no mention is made of that.  Some of the smaller
radios like the FT857 and FT 897 come to mind when I reviewed their specs on
receiver performance that didn't appear to be great.

The Orion pretty much holds its own in terms of 3rd order intercept per the
review when measured at 20khz and 5khz.

I have seen less than spectacular spectrum analyzer plots of 3rd IMD
products being overlooked or at least not commented on.

I don't want to think that the ARRL is showing favoritism to major
manufacturers who spend lots of advertising dollars in QST by overlooking
bad numbers or by making seemingly flattering remarks that don't match up
with the numbers cited in the review.

I have seen too many remarks that would indicate that this particular radio
is simply great....but a look at the numbers makes you wonder what the
reviewers based these favoring remarks upon.

I am a Life Member of the ARRL and eagerly look forward to receiving QST
each month.....but......the folks who write the reviews have to look past
the bells and whistles and advertising money and call a spade a spade when
confronted by dismal number there own tests reveal.

Please, no more excuses for "overlooked" performance shortfalls.

OK...that's my story and I am sticking to it (grin)

Back into my hole and back to Ten Tec gear and QRP.

                                    73, Joe W2KJ
                                    I QRP, therefore, I am
                                    Orion owner and lover