[TenTec] Orion debacle

Scott Harwood scotth at hsc.edu
Thu Jul 21 08:57:06 EDT 2005

I couldn’t agree more.  I received my Orion in early June with autotuner and all additional filters installed.  It is a fantastic rig.  I deliberately waited to allow Ten-Tec time to address some of the “problems” I read about on this site.  I have had none of the problems.  The rig performs beautifully and I can honestly say it is the best rig I ever owned in over 40 years of ham radio.  So what if Orion II has color, a different control processor, an eight prong mike (I have a Heil Studio One mike and really don’t care to re-wire it for another connector), and slight tweaking of the filters.  Opps, almost forgot that very important little pot on the back of the rig.

I look forward to receiving the 2.0 firmware and want to thank Ten-Tec for providing me this upgrade at no cost, while Orion II owners will pay the premium for development costs, which also increases the re-sale/trade in value of my Orion.

Finally, from what I have read in the past about the “problems” is that a lot of Orions were bought by amateurs that didn’t understand (or didn’t care to learn about) the basic fundamentals of AGC and DSP, and the wonderful fact that they are completely programmable to suit the individuals needs – not a factory default.  These folks should have bought a KenYeaCom.

Scott K4VWK