[TenTec] Orion debacle

Robert & Linda McGraw K4TAX RMcGraw at Blomand.Net
Thu Jul 21 21:27:08 EDT 2005

As I said here before when someone asked.  "Just how many problems are "user
related"."  I said about 85% with the other 15% being real true software
bugs.

And another thing,  I wonder just how many faults are related to hardware
failure that got blamed on software bugs?  Bet it is real low.  Maybe even
less than 1%.

73
Bob K4TAX

----- Original Message -----
From: "Scott Harwood" <scotth at hsc.edu>
To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec at contesting.com>
Sent: Thursday, July 21, 2005 7:57 AM
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Orion debacle

I couldn't agree more.  I received my Orion in early June with autotuner and
all additional filters installed.  It is a fantastic rig.  I deliberately
waited to allow Ten-Tec time to address some of the "problems" I read about
on this site.  I have had none of the problems.  The rig performs
beautifully and I can honestly say it is the best rig I ever owned in over
40 years of ham radio.  So what if Orion II has color, a different control
processor, an eight prong mike (I have a Heil Studio One mike and really
don't care to re-wire it for another connector), and slight tweaking of the
filters.  Opps, almost forgot that very important little pot on the back of
the rig.

I look forward to receiving the 2.0 firmware and want to thank Ten-Tec for
providing me this upgrade at no cost, while Orion II owners will pay the
premium for development costs, which also increases the re-sale/trade in
value of my Orion.

Finally, from what I have read in the past about the "problems" is that a
lot of Orions were bought by amateurs that didn't understand (or didn't care
to learn about) the basic fundamentals of AGC and DSP, and the wonderful
fact that they are completely programmable to suit the individuals needs -
not a factory default.  These folks should have bought a KenYeaCom.

Scott K4VWK