[TenTec] Other needs and software upgradeable

Ron Notarius wn3vaw at verizon.net
Thu Jul 21 12:48:38 EDT 2005

I spoke briefly with Scott at Hamvention about the idea of a 100 W Argonaut
V (aka the potential Argosy III).  He told me, in effect if not in these
exact words, was that the cost of adding the 100 W brick would push the
price too high to be competitive with various imported rigs.  Which at least
tells us that the idea has been considered, and perhaps even such a
potential rig exists on paper... or electronically in a design computer
somewhere.

Considering how the dollar has fallen on the international market since
then, I wonder if that price analysis is still true.

I for one would love to see an "Argosy III" on these lines -- and would try
to buy one if I could.  And since the cost of the rig would approach the
existing Jupiter, speculating a bit further, I would expect the future J2 to
cost a little more and be repositioned further up the line (maybe the J2 or
it's successor would be the "Orion Jr" that some have asked for)

Whatever happens, I know this:  Some of our speculations will be right, but
most will be way wrong.  We'll all find out soon enough!