[TenTec] pks31 et al internal? was: [OT] FCC says CW dead?

Tom Azlin, N4ZPT tom at n4zpt.org
Thu Jul 21 15:26:05 EDT 2005

Hi Ron.

Interesting discussion.  I mostly operate the soundcard digital modes.

I think the rig should be the best cw and ssb rig possible and leave the
digital modes processing to the outboard computer and sound card.  These
modes are changing, soundcards like the RigExpert are pretty good, and
laptops are cheap.  Plus I like being able to see the digital watering
hole, mouse over to the signal I want, use macros to center the dsp
filters, etc.  What I need most is a very good RF front end, i.e. the
Orion or Orion II.

I found it odd that the IC-7800 included psk31 and rtty but required you
to use the main rig tuning to lock in the signal.  At Dayton this year
there was a new kit radio that has a general purpose computer built into
the rig with a keyboard, mouse, and display I/O but it was $6-12K as I
recall.  The Orion with a laptop is a much better combination.

73, Tom n4zpt
p.s. I like my Orion, will probably upgrade or simply buy the Orion II

Ron Zond wrote:
> Hi Stuart and  gang
>
> I like your progressive comments. What is needed now is incorporation of the
> keyboard modes into ham rigs.  This could be done on EEPROM. Modes such as
> PSK31 and RTTY could be burned in permanently, and other modes could be
> added as needed. All that would be needed is to plug a keyboard into the
> rig. I would be interested in comments.
>
> Ron
> K3MIY

---