[TenTec] The future of The Orion I

Williams, Barry Bnwilliams at varco.com
Mon Jul 25 15:41:59 EDT 2005

I should probably said software modules.  When you write a program to operate a piece of equipment you have a main program which is developed (usually in modules) and then you have particular modules that interface to the hardware, we called these "drivers" in the 70s.  The idea is that when you finish writing a piece of software and the engineer suddenly finds a new device to replace the display system (only it has a different protocol for sending and receiving data to the hardware).  If you hard coded all the display interface software in the main program you have to go find everywhere you "talk" to that piece of hardware and change it.  By using a module of software to drive that piece of hardware you have all the interface information captured in one module.  The main program may decide what is to be displayed on the display device, it hands this information to the module or driver that takes care of actually displaying the data in the correct place and colors (or monochrome).  Then you have a choice, you can have the program check and see if it is a monochrome or color display equipped unit and then call the correct module to display the data (color module or monochrome module), or you can simply link the correct module when you compile the program.

The information to date indicates that there are no new great features not related to the hardware improvements, just improvements in existing features and a few different pieces of hardware which will require different modules.  As someone mentioned, it is possible that with the faster processor there may be new features that can be accomplished in software by the faster processor and not by the slower processor.  But the main features that control the radio are not processor time dependent.  The DSP is where new features and improvements could be added in software, and the DSP processor has not changed.

This would make it probable that the software developed for the O2 would be downward compatible with the exception of improvements in the new hardware.  For example, if the original O2 software has a problem with the color display, then the work to impove the display will probably not be downward compatible, because it is not relevant to the operation of the O1.

Hope this helps,
Barry