[TenTec] Orion II Spec's

Ten-Tec Inc. Amateur Radio Sales sales at tentec.com
Thu Jul 28 12:23:27 EDT 2005

At 10:51 PM 7/26/05, you wrote:

>Hi Everyone,
>
>I wonder if Scott or someone at Ten Tec could elaborate on this sentence
>taken form the Orion II announcement on the TT web site.
>
>"Mixing architecture for the analog stages has been rearranged to provide
>self-correction for frequency stability."

 From what I understand, there is now a small self-correcting routine in
the analog stages that involves the
3rd IF and its LO being changed slightly to keep the radio on frequency a
little bit better.  Note we're
discussing stability and not accuracy - it's to keep the radio on the
frequency, not to put it closer to what
should be the actual frequency the rig is using.

>Also will the roofing filters be of a different design or simply the same
>filters just 'banked' differently in the radio.

They are different.  They are filters being built in the UK for
us.  They're also arranged
into a single bank rather than dual banks as used in the original
rig.  There is probably no
difference on receiver performance on SSB - on CW with the 600 or 300 Hz
filters
engaged maybe a slight improvement of dynamic range over the filtering
system used in
the original Orion.  We've characterised it as 'subtle' - and it is.  The
ARRL noted in the
Expanded Test Report for the Orion that with the 500 Hz filter engaged they
saw a
3 to 5 dB difference from the 1 kHz filter - the idea with the new
filtering system was
to smooth this out.

>Finally any plans for an 'auxiliary monitor provision' as with the ICOM
>and YAESU flagship transceivers?

No plans to add aux monitor output.

More to come...

Scott Robbins W4PA
Amateur Radio Product Manager, Ten-Tec, Inc.

Ten-Tec, Inc., 1185 Dolly Parton Pkwy, Sevierville, TN 37862 USA
   Contact Mon-Fri Eastern: Office/Tech (865) 453-7172 9 am-5 pm.
   Repair (865) 428-0364 8-4.  Sales (800) 833-7373 9 am-5:30 pm.
   Fax (865) 428-4483 24 hrs.  Visit us at <http://www.tentec.com>
   Email:  New product sales/product info         sales at tentec.com
              Service department                         service at tentec.com
   While we make every effort to answer email in an expedient manner,
   the telephone is a much more efficient tool for getting a quicker and
   more complete answer to your inquiries.  Thanks!