[TenTec] Rig changes

Jerry Volpe kg6tt at tomorrowsweb.com
Wed Mar 23 00:13:53 EST 2005

John Graves wrote:

>I am contemplating replacing my rigs with a Jupiter.  I would replace an
>Omni-C, a TS-130, and a TS-140 with the RS-232 interface.  Will I lose
>any capability or performance in this trade??
>
>John / WB1EHL

I can't say for the Kenwood transceivers. I owned an Omni-C for 23 years
and a Jupiter for less than six months. In my listening environment
which is plagued with strong BCB interference and electrical
interference the Jupiter simply did not perform well. The Omni-C was a
superior transceiver in all ways other than convenience via modern
computer interconnects, etc. I even had an opportunity to have a longish
discussion with a Ten-Tec engineer (who will go unnamed) who told be
that the Omni-C is simply a superior design.... it was the best they
could make at the time... the Jupiter is a really nice, medium quality
transceiver, etc.

I traded my Jupiter for an Omni-VI+ as I wanted the best quality that I
could get. I am very happy with the trade and not missed the Jupiter.
However, we all have different scales by which we make these measurements.

As an aside.... some months later I was asked by someone to consider
trading my Omni-C station for a Kenwood TS-940S.  At this point I had my
Omni-VI+, a Paragon and two Scouts so I went along with the trade. The
Kenwood is a fine transceiver but I miss my Omni-C. Go figure.

73,
Jerry, KG6TT