[TenTec] Triton 540 low audio on SSB?? CW O.K.

David Stansell daves1 at bellsouth.net
Tue Mar 29 10:51:14 EST 2005

 I ordered a hand mike from Ten-Tec and got on SSB last night for the first time since buying the rig.  I get on 80 meters and can barely be heard.  Only one of 3 local hams could hear me.  I change radios and all is well, everyone hears me on the 940 with heil mike.  CW puts out 100+ watts and works FB.  The ALC lamp never lights on the rig is the only thing that doesn't work.  I have the 262m power supply and I plug the mike into it and the vox and delay all work fine.  Can I plug the mike directly into the RIG?  I don't see anything in the manual that addresses that.  The rig is wonderful on receive, I am amazed that a single conversion can receive this good.  It is ready for the lake if I can get my SSB going.  I have several options on mikes.  A  D-104 with a heil #4, a Echo Master Plus Classic, or a Ten-Tec 706.  Any ideas on what to check out?  Sorry to be lengthy.  Thanks, David W4KA