[TenTec] Inrush Current Protection?

Vic Klein vhklein at ptd.net
Thu Mar 31 13:01:50 EST 2005

Actually, I believe Ten Tec gear is happier if it is switched from the rig
and not the power supply, Dick. Connections are there to turn off the
supply, if that is what the radio prefers, or to not turn it off in other
cases. On my old Triton, it didn't make a difference, but allowed the supply
to be remotely placed. On my Paragon, you could upset the processor by
switching the radio from the supply, and keeping the supply on allowed a
better life for the memory-retaining battery. In my case, I have a wall
switch that kills everything in the room except the cable modem, router, and
a clock, but I always switch the radio off from the front panel before
killing power. I would be concerned that an inrush limiting circuit would
have portions of the processor coming up in the wrong sequence, potentially
locking it up.

I've noticed a "thump" when the power supply comes on, though, and as long
as it is turned on before the radio I think an inrush limiter on it would
not be a bad idea.

=Vic=
WA4THR
Good Day Members of the TenTec Reflector!

  Question for you about in-rush current protection.

  I leave my On/Off switch on my Omni VI+ in the ON position and turn
the rig off and on via the On/Off switch on the 961 Power supply.  When
when I do turn my power on, it does seem like quite a shock to the
system.
  I am wondering if there would be any benefit to inserting an In-Rush
Current Protection device between the mains and the 961 Power Supply.  I
have a commercial unit I purchased some time ago to limin in-rush
current to my Heathkit SB-200 linear.  I was thinking of using this and
wondering if it might provide some protection to both the power supply
as well as the Omni VI+.

  Would appreciate any thoughts you might like to share on this.

  Thank you and 73!

de KD4BRL  Dick Knox

COL(R) Richard L. Knox
Homeland Security and Assurance
Engineering Development and Integration Services
General Dynamics
1200 Joe Hall Drive, P.O. Box 990
Ypsilanti, Michigan 48197
Tel:   734-480-5197
Fax:  734-480-5781
E-Mail:  Richard.Knox at GD-AIS.com <mailto:Richard.Knox at GD-AIS.com>