[TenTec] Color for the Orion sreen

Martin, AA6E martin.ewing at gmail.com
Tue May 3 15:40:03 EDT 2005

This sounds like fun, but putting a colored filter can't improve the
brightness and probably won't improve the contrast.  It will also blur
the image to some extent.

You might get more help with either a circularly polarizing filter or
a wire mesh "collimator" type filter.  These are sometimes used on
displays to enhance contrast by suppressing reflections.  The wire
mesh can be dramatic, but it will limit your off-axis view.  Something
like that is necessary if you want to operate in direct sunlight.

<reminisce>I remember some B&W TV sets in the 50s dressed up with
color filters - blue on top and green along the bottom - to give an
illusion of color.  Right up there with "Halovision"! </reminisce>

I agree that the Orion LCD, though functional, is not all that it
could be, especially compared with my computer monitor or PDA.

73 Martin AA6E