[TenTec] My new ORION

Bill Tippett btippett at alum.mit.edu
Tue May 24 15:11:02 EDT 2005

Hi Grant,

NQ5T wrote:

>Interesting.  It sounds like if I had had the problem I would certainly have
>noticed it :-)
>
>I'll play around some and see what happens.  For normal operation I
>typically run the RF gain wide open and Threshold around 10uV.  Maybe the
>threshold setting is why I've missed the fun ...

         The more I think about it, the more I feel
lowering Threshold caused my problem.  I did
that after I finally understood how the new 1.372
RFGAIN implementation was supposed to work.

         Before I got your E-mail, I just reset all
my Thresholds to 10 uV!  I noticed it was 3 uV
for F/M/S but 10 for Prog.  That could very well
explain the seemingly inconsistent results I've
gotten.  In contests, I normally use Prog so that
I have full control of everything...and if that were
10 uV it would explain why I had no problems
in contests.

                         73,  Bill  W4ZV

P.S.  Posting this to the reflector since it may
be of general interest to others.