[TenTec] ORION'S TROUBLES

Grant Youngman nq5t at comcast.net
Thu May 26 23:10:08 EDT 2005

> > Mistery: the broadcast spacing frequency is  5 kHz, and this radio
> > make me
> listen in an interval of  10/12 kHz.??

There is a known problem with tuning step size in AM mode with the
sub-receiver.  The Orion sub-receiver currently will tune only in 2.5 Khz
increments in AM (if the step size is set normally).  This does not affect
any of the CW/SSB modes.

You should have NO trouble with standard SWBC station spacing as long as the
stations of interest are on a 5Khz boundary.  Ignore what you hear and just
set the receiver to the nominal frequency of the station of interest.

I've been told that the reason this has not been corrected to date is that
it goes deeper than control firmware and involves some DSP code issues.
Hopefully this is on the plate along with the other changes in the 2.0
firmware release.

For issues like this that have been lingering UNcorrected or addressed in
any way for over 2 years, I do wish T-T would publish a "known issues" list
along with SOMETHING about what is being done to correct the problem.

Grant/NQ5T