[TenTec] ORION BCI

Jerry Volpe kg6tt at tomorrowsweb.com
Tue May 31 17:22:41 EDT 2005

Seriously, at my current QTH every piece of Ten-Tec gear that I use
(Omni-VI+, Paragon, Corsair II, Omni-C, Jupiter, RX-350, Scout, and
Century 21 suffer from highly objectionalble BCI from the two fairly
nearby AM broadcasters (both about 1 mile away). The problem is worst on
my Hy-Gain AV-640, but noticeable on the other antennas as well.  The
problem is completely eliminated here as I have an ICE Model 400X BCB
filter installed between the transceivers and the antenna systems. At
least there was an easy to apply solution and it wasn't expensive. I
must note that my Kenwood TS-940SAT does NOT suffer the BCI problem. All
my transceivers are on a single coax switch to the remainder of the
antenna system (monitor scope, Centaur, Viking LowPass filter, Daiwa
CN-801, Ten-Tec 229B tuner).

I have heard all the arguments over the years (been using Ten-Tec
equipment since 1971) that Ten-Tec gear is no more sensitive to stray RF
and BCI than other brands but that has never proven to be true where
ever I have lived and operated. But I am use to it and I just pay more
attention to the issues and concentrate on the best system 'RF' ground I
can manage... keep the antennas as far away as possible... best grade
double-shielded coax even for patch cables... a judicious application of
ferrite beads, et al.! Oh, and the BCI filter. When I am done everything
is fine in Dogpatch. I don't expect an Orion to behave all that
differently when I finally get around to adding one (errr, when I can
afford one).

73,
Jerry, KG6TT