[TenTec] orion problems

Tommy aldermant at alltel.net
Tue May 31 18:04:25 EDT 2005

No, I disagree with that. We did not 'always commenting about something they
do not like'. We only constantly complained about the fact the Orion would
not, and still does not work properly with a Ten Tec amplifier in the keying
loop. And in spite of all of the 'professional hams' who continuously told
us to shut up and go away, Ten Tec finally admitted the random RF power loss
and the random rcvr loss was due to incorrectly written DSP algorithms in
the base firmware code. And that is one of the main reasons Gary and company
have been trying to re-write the basic firmware code.

I bought my Orion(s) to be my retirement radio. I did not buy that radio to
be able to sit on this reflector and complain about what it would not do. I
certainly would have preferred it to work, at least as well as previous Ten
Tec gear. They didn't work correctly on some basic functions, and they still
do not work correctly today. I gave up on the Orion, fortunately Ten Tec has
not...yet.

Tommy

W4BQF