[TenTec] Station / C-21

Caitlyn M. Martin mizuhoradio at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 6 23:33:35 EST 2005

Hi, Perry, and everyone else.

> As a beginner I spent 3 years with a Hallicrafters
> S-19R, wide as a barn and full of images...

Fine.  We don't live in a world where a vintage 1939
receiver is a standard to be met.  Technology has
improved and become less expensive since the days of
the Sky Buddy.

> Not mentioned previously was "maintenance."  The
> C-21 is so simple...  minimum alignment, small parts

> count, less to go wrong....

...and a truly outdated, inferior receiver design.  Is
that what your advocating?  One thing I feel is really
a sign of a hobby/service in trouble and in decline is
when we constantly look backwards instead of forwards.
 If he can afford $200 or so he can have a much better
and not terribly complex radio from Ten Tec or one of
the Japanese manufacturers.  I say get the most modern
thing you can afford, not the oldest, least capable
piece.

> >would be much better off with a triton 4 or argosy
> or even a omni a, b,
> >or c
>
> Cost was a factor, he said.......

Yep.  I see Triton IVs going for $125-$200 depending
on condition and options all the time.  An Argosy,
with it's wonderful receiver and filtering options, is
a little more.

73,
Caity
K7VO/8

Caitlyn M. Martin - K7VO
http://www.mizuhoradio.com/personal/k7vo
Blog: http://k7vo.blogspot.com
ARRL QRP-ARCI #11018 ARS #445 G-QRP #11577 AK QRP #637