[TenTec] Assistance needed

Mark Erbaugh mark at microenh.com
Mon Nov 7 09:41:13 EST 2005

> I just received my first TenTec - a Jupiter. I need advice for hooking up
for Digital Modes and rig control. I have a Laptop with one serial port, a
RigBlaster Pro ( jumpers wired as per Rigblaster # 9 -RXD & TXD schematic)
and use MixW, and have downloaded Pegasus.I have my computer serial port
hooked to serial port A on the Rigblaster and Jupiter's external speaker
hooked to audio in on Rigblaster( computer & Rigblaster hooked - Line In -
Line Out) and PSK works.I would like to operate digital modes with Pegasus
mode and with the MixW program.
>     1 - What would be the correct hook up of the Jupiter ACC 1 Jack in
working with RigBlaster, Pegasus and rig control?
>     2 - Do I leave my computer hooked up to Rigblaster serial port A and
connect Rigblaster serial port B to the Jupiter RS- 232 port with a DB-9
cable or do I need another serial port from my computer?
>     3 - Is there any  configuration changes needed with the  MixW program?
>
> Problem: when I did step # 2 ( Rigblaster serial A hooked to computer and
Rigblaster serial B hooked to Jupiter) and opened Pegasus emulation with the
MixW running my Jupiter went to constant TX and no controls in Pegasus
worked. I never did step # 1or anything to step # 3.

> I would appreciate any assistance and can provide any further information
needed. I can also be contacted direct.

Rigblasters are really designed to use with a rig's mic input. That way,
they support mic PTT switch override. IOW, if you are sending a digital
signal and push the PTT on the microphone, the digital signal is
disconnected and the mic is routed to the transceiver.  This is useful for
modes where you do both voice and data (SSTV, etc).  That said, on the
Jupiter the ACC 1 jack is just another mic level input so you could wire it
up to work, but why not just use the mic jack.  Since the Rigblaster Pro
uses an RJ-45 connector for the RB to rig cable, just build up a cable with
a 4-Pin mic jack.

To use Pegasus emulation and MixW PTT control via serial port, you will need
two serial ports. The issue is one with Windows. Under Windows, two programs
cannot share a serial port, so each program will need it's own serial port.
You would connect one serial port from the computer directly to the Jupiter
and one serial port to the RigBlaster. You won't use the second serial port
on the RigBlaster.  The second serial port on the RigBlaster Pro is used
when the rig's computer interface is not RS232 (like the CI-V interface on
Icom radios).

Here are some one serial port options:

1) if your laptop has a USB port, try a USB / Serial adapter. Different
brands of adapters work with differing levels of success. Some will work
fine, but I had problems using Pegasus software with some.  However, I bet
that just about any brand of adapter will work fine for PTT control.

2) see if you can get the Jupiter to key on VOX so that you don't need PTT
control.

3) build or buy (i.e. Signal Link SL-1) an interface that uses SOX (sound
operated transmit). Similar to VOX, but designed to work better with digital
mode.

73 and GL,
Mark