[TenTec] 6 Meter Operation

Dave, K2DP k2dp at charter.net
Thu Nov 10 23:02:54 EST 2005

Rich,

6 meters is a band for a beam. Yes, you might make some contacts with your
wire antenna, however, most folks on 6 meters use a minimum of a 3 element
beam at 30 feet, providing both gain and directivity. You will become
quickly frustrated with the band using a wire antenna. Until the sporadic
e-season comes around in May 2006, most of what you will hear and work will
be ground wave signals. With your wire, you will be limited to working folks
within a very short range 10-15 miles, max. Also, the low power output of
the transverter will not help either. Try to pick up a used solid state 6
meter amp such as the Mirage amps, 5 watts in/ 125 watts out. Put that
together with your beam and you will enjoy 6 meters year round.

73 and have fun,
Dave, K2DP, St. Louis