[TenTec] Banana boat swing

Bill Tippett btippett at alum.mit.edu
Tue Nov 22 09:37:14 EST 2005

K4CFA wrote:

 >there is  nothing wrong with a
distinctive fist that one can copy.

         True, but for extremely weak signals,
please send as perfectly as you can.  On
160 I often hear a number of guys sending
with "pregnant pauses" included, e.g.
W4D_R, N_0XA and W2_ JB come to mind.  I
still recall seeing 3Y2GV's 160 log for the
first operation from Peter I Island.  Instead
of N0XA, he had logged N0XAN since the pause
after the N confused him into thinking that
was the end of the call and caused him to
attach another N.

         The reason for this is fairly simple.
When signals are extremely weak, syncopated
sending, pregnant pauses, etc. confuse the
brain which is struggling to copy signals
below the noise floor, probably in the midst
of huge static crashes.  It doesn't need
any more distractions than it already has!

                                         73,  Bill  W4ZV