[TenTec] Banana boat swing

George Kelly k9wwt at sbcglobal.net
Tue Nov 22 10:21:44 EST 2005

>a fist that one can copy<

There is the key to coin a phrase!  A fist one can copy.  Most times when I am QSOing someone with a bug with a bad swing I give up after the second round.  If you are going to use a bug at least put enough effort into your sending so the other party can copy it without racking his brain to figure out what you are sending.  Spacing is the "key" to good sending.  I have used paddles and a keyer for 45 years and now lately use the keyboard when I get lazy or sleepy!  Nothing wrong with staying with technology.  Besides a keyboard lets you multi-task!  I can load up the buffer and go for a cup of coffe get some ice crean and maybe even say hi the the XYL all before it is time for the next over!  And still feel the joy of a good hour long CW QSO.

Now for my second pet peeve.  A QRP signal working someone running 100 watts or more.  One party gets solid copy while the other must strain his ear to even get a report.  When I go down to 1 watt and match the other guy's power, it is just amazing how short the QSO becomes.  QRP is a cute novelity but not very effecienct.  Especailly in this low ebb of the cycle we are sitting in.  My policy has always been "all meters to the right" Just thought I would toss my 2 cents in.  73

                                                                                     K9WWT  dit dit !

Bill Tippett <btippett at alum.mit.edu> wrote:K4CFA wrote:

>there is nothing wrong with a
distinctive fist that one can copy.

True, but for extremely weak signals,
please send as perfectly as you can. On
160 I often hear a number of guys sending
with "pregnant pauses" included, e.g.
W4D_R, N_0XA and W2_ JB come to mind. I
still recall seeing 3Y2GV's 160 log for the
first operation from Peter I Island. Instead
of N0XA, he had logged N0XAN since the pause
after the N confused him into thinking that
was the end of the call and caused him to
attach another N.

The reason for this is fairly simple.
When signals are extremely weak, syncopated
sending, pregnant pauses, etc. confuse the
brain which is struggling to copy signals
below the noise floor, probably in the midst
of huge static crashes. It doesn't need
any more distractions than it already has!

73, Bill W4ZV