[TenTec] Banana boat swing

Bill Tippett btippett at alum.mit.edu
Tue Nov 22 10:33:40 EST 2005

K9WWT wrote:

 >A fist one can copy.

         Exactly George.  That is what communications is all
about...not sending some jibberish that only the sender
understands.  I think that is why the FCC used to make
sending a part of their exams.

 >Now for my second pet peeve.  A QRP signal working someone running
100 watts or more.

         I have one very related to that.  On 160, expeditions
sometimes send too fast.  They don't realize that their
100W to a wet noodle does not result in the same S/N on
our side as my 1.5 kW to a 3 element vertical on their
side.  I remember 8Q7XX on Top Band sending about 35 WPM
as he was skating in and out of my noise floor, apparently
not understanding why I could not copy him like he was
copying me.  It's the same issue you mentioned with QRP.
If I'm QRP (which I often do on HF bands when operating
portable), I try to make it easier on the guy at the other
end by sending at reasonable speeds as perfectly as I can.

                                         73,  Bill  W4ZV