[TenTec] Banana boat swing

George Kelly k9wwt at sbcglobal.net
Tue Nov 22 10:48:17 EST 2005

      > I have one very related to that.  On 160, expeditions
sometimes send too fast.<

Roger that Bill - I seem to recall from my early days on Top Band that the optimum speed for good copy through the QRN was 16 WPM.

Bill Tippett <btippett at alum.mit.edu> wrote: K9WWT wrote:

>A fist one can copy.

Exactly George. That is what communications is all
about...not sending some jibberish that only the sender
understands. I think that is why the FCC used to make
sending a part of their exams.

>Now for my second pet peeve. A QRP signal working someone running
100 watts or more.

I have one very related to that. On 160, expeditions
sometimes send too fast. They don't realize that their
100W to a wet noodle does not result in the same S/N on
our side as my 1.5 kW to a 3 element vertical on their
side. I remember 8Q7XX on Top Band sending about 35 WPM
as he was skating in and out of my noise floor, apparently
not understanding why I could not copy him like he was
copying me. It's the same issue you mentioned with QRP.
If I'm QRP (which I often do on HF bands when operating
portable), I try to make it easier on the guy at the other
end by sending at reasonable speeds as perfectly as I can.

73, Bill W4ZV