[TenTec] QRP (warning TROLL post)

Rob Atkinson, K5UJ k5uj at hotmail.com
Thu Nov 24 15:39:16 EST 2005

I run anywhere from 100w. to as much as my amp can put out, which seems to
be around 1.1 kw.  I have never had anyone say i'm too strong, please turn
it down.  but i have had people say I'm too weak; pse turn up the watts if
possible.

I don't run QRO to hear myself.  If that were the only thing that mattered,
i'd dump the gear and sit in a room and talk to myself and beep to myself
with a code practice oscillator.   I run QRO so the other guy can have a
good time and an enjoyable qso (I hope).     Why do some people run a few
watts?  I can think of reasons but i certainly hope one of them isn't
sadism.    while i occasionally turn down the power to a few watts to
evaluate my antennas, after asking the guy i'm working if he minds, I
normally don't operate at that level because:

I have a job and other duties so when i get time to operate i want to make a
contact rapidly, instead of spending the evening tuning, listening, calling,
and maybe never working anyone because condx weren't just right,

I don't operate cw all the time,

Want to talk to someone for more than a few minutes, which is about the qso
time limit for someone struggling to copy my lousy qrp signal, after he
finds out i could run much more but am not going to
(which seems to be the litmus test for QRP loyalty),  and...

I don't have high gain antennas to make up the erp lost by the reduced power
to the load.

If i had a 60 dipole curtain for an antenna i'd probably try QRP and the guy
I'm working and i might enjoy it.

73,
rob / k5uj
war surplus lightning bug
J-36 no. 1274

p.s.  here's a gud reason to use a BUG:  all those little MFJ cw reader
boxes you bug haters must use won't work!!!  hi hi hi.  Happy BUG SWINGING
Thanksgiving baby!