[TenTec] Openwire fed differently

NJ0IP Rick at DJ0IP.de
Sat Oct 1 19:40:14 EDT 2005

I changed to a new thread on this openwire stuff.

Background:

I've moved my shack to the basement of my typical Bavarian house.

The front of our (stucko) house is painted with typical Bavarian artwork and
my XYL lights up the front side with lights at night.

For some reason she thinks the ladderlines ( I have two, because there are
two antennas) disturb this traditional Bavarian picture and she nixed the
idea of me running the ladderline into the basement window on the front side
of the house.  So now I'm stuck with about $3000 worth of Annecke
symmetrical tuners and no openwire antenna.

Challenge:

Well I'm a cw contester and an SSB rag chewer.  I need an antenna to cover
both portions of the band.

I have a solid state Linear Amp (Henry SS750-HF) that needs a relatively
good SWR.

An 80m dipole just won't cut the mustard.

At least here in Europe we don't need to cover such a large frequency range.

Our 80m band begins at 3500 and ends at 3800.

We don't have any 75m privileges.

Money Money Money:

Here in Europe there are a couple of companies offering remote symmetrical
tuners, but they go for about $2000 a piece.

OUCH.

Well I can run coax out the shack and under ground and place one such a box
in the yard somewhere.

I hate to think of buying even one, and certainly cannot afford two of these
beasts.

Ideas:

Anyone have any suggestions?

What else is available?