[TenTec] Ten Tec 6N2 impressions

Caitlyn M. Martin mizuhoradio at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 12 18:34:58 EDT 2005

Hi, everyone,

I've had the rig less than a month.  The contest this
weekend was the first real workout I was able to give
it. (I had worked one 6m opening and worked some local
FM, both repeaters and simplex, before this.)

The receiver is very hot, more so than any other rig I
have on either band.  It is mildy prone to front end
overload.  W4FVQ in Covington, KY (maybe six miles
away) was able to wipe out a 30kHz swath of band.  He
is a big gun in every sense.

Six was wide open Sunday evening and being able to
narrow my bandwidth to as little as 950Hz and still
have a readable SSB signal was wonderful on a suddenly
very crowded band.  The IF DSP filters are every bit
as good as on the Argonaut V.

The rig does have birdies on 6m.  One, at 50.118, is
S4 and quite loud.  It's there with the antenna
disconnected.  Others are S1 or less and it isn't a
huge flock.  I had a Patcomm PC-9000 and that truly
had loud birdies everywhere.  On 2m I found no loud
birdies and perhaps a couple of very minor ones in the
weak signal portion of the band.

FWIW, my rig is early production but has been updated
to 1.23 firmware (the latest).

Overall I am quite pleased with the rig.  It isn't
perfect but it is very, very good.

73,
Caity
K7VO

Caitlyn M. Martin - K7VO
http://www.mizuhoradio.com/personal/k7vo
Blog: http://k7vo.blogspot.com
ARRL QRP-ARCI #11018 ARS #445 G-QRP #11577 AK QRP #637