[TenTec] W3CRR goes to Hell

Craig Roberts crgrbrts at verizon.net
Tue Apr 25 13:30:39 EDT 2006

Many thanks to all who responded to my digital mode questions.

Late yesterday my Pegasus and I explored Hell -- the Feld-Hell mode, to
be precise. It's great fun.

Very good, self-installing freeware for the mode is available from
IZ8BLY at http://xoomer.virgilio.it/aporcino/Hell/index.htm .
(Actually, an optional donation for the software can be made via Pay
Pal. I encourage anyone who uses this fine program to make a gift).

A few minutes after installing the software, I typed a Feld-Hell CQ on
14.075 MHz and got a response almost immediately.  I spent the next half
hour or so in a friendly "screenchew" with a nice Swedish fellow now
enjoying digitally-enhanced retirement in the Azores.  Gary, CU2JT,
promoted an online group supporting the mode and I joined
enthusiastically.  I'm now member #318 of the Feld-Hell Club.

I think you should try playing with Hellschreiber.  It's an interesting
method of communication -- an odd sort of a CW/fax hybrid dating back to
the 1920's. It's more than a antique novelty, however.  While it's slow
when compared with the PSK family or even RTTY, it's very robust; able
to survive deep QSB, and remains viable with hard QRM alongside.  Even
its snail's pace has a benefit.  You can type at a relaxed rate and
really enjoy the chat without feeling rushed.  Besides, I'm a journalist
and, therefore, am a horrid touch typist.  This mode give you enough
time to actually go back and correct typos before they appear on your
correspnodent's screen.  The Hellschreiber mode was made for me.

Anyway, we Hellscrhreiber devotees are trying to drum up business. So,
join us.  I'll be at 14.075 at about 2100 Z today, as a matter of fact.
Join me!

73,

Craig
W3CRR