[TenTec] New Firmware

W8KEB w8keb at arrl.net
Fri Apr 28 20:10:29 EDT 2006

Hi All

>>>Having said all this I am happy to run version 1.367 or 1.373b3 on my
>>>Classic Orion and feel it is the best out there at this time.  Enjoy your
>>>Orions!
Toby  W4CAK<<<<<

If you have the Classic Orion and are not using V1.373b3 and the N4PY Orion
Control Program you are missing some of the greatest operating ever.  I have
known Toby for a few years and have enjoyed breaking bread with Toby and his
wife.  Toby is a TRUE Gentleman and only tells it as it is.

I use Carl's Orion Control Program and have my "Classic" about five foot
away for the computer.  The Remote Tuning Pod, the Goldline GM-5 on the boom
and the mouse is all I need to address most every thing the Orion Classic
offers.  Some things such as the transmit and receive EQ must be addressed
from the Orion front pannel but they are for the most part set once and
forget.  Carl added Sweep Intergration to the lastest upgrade.  I have my
sweep running full time using the Sub Receiver for the sweep.  I can see the
signals on the band change with the qsb.  I would call it real time sweep
but I know some will say it is not so, all I will say is try it, you may
like it.

This afternoon on 40 meters SSB at 1730 UTC our group could not hear in
state stations except for me with my Classic Orion.  My friend in Waverly
Ohio could not hear me but I had a very weak signal on Don.  I reduced the
RF Gain to 60, turned the DSP NR to 2 and lowered the BW from 2800 to 2400
and I could copy Don.  Firmwear V1.373b3 has the best NR of all the Firmwear
versions released to date, again that is my feelings.

My Orion Classic does not crash, Carl's Orion Control Program does not crash
and I am very happy with my setup.  I will not put V2.XXX on my Classic, it
is not needed in my case.

73 from the Buckeye State.

Ken/w8keb
Flushing, Ohio