[TenTec] End of an era

Rob Atkinson, K5UJ k5uj at hotmail.com
Sat Aug 19 10:01:05 EDT 2006

I'm at the point where I'm comfortable with the idea of running a SDR and
one of them will probably be my next rig, but the people who predict that
these boxes will sweep ham radio in the near future are forgetting one
thing.  Unike an industry employing people who need to be paid to provide
for themselves and their families, and therefore can be pressured to change
up to a point, ham's know no such pressure because ham radio is a hobby.
Hams can buy and use any gear they want.   Professionals may have change
forced on them by skyscraper MBAs in suits, but hams are free to go to their
graves running front panel rigs if that's what they want, and there are a
lot of older hams who probably intend to do that.   SDR boxes will
eventually dominate the market, but it will take a lot longer than has been
predicted and until a lot of hams are SKs there will still be a demand for
front panel rigs.

rob / k5uj