[TenTec] Omni VI+ or Orion

Toby Pennington toby423 at earthlink.net
Sun Aug 20 20:56:00 EDT 2006

Todd,  I am sure you will get a lot of responses to your question.  If you
are a cw operator then you will be happy with the Omni 6+ as it is an
excellent cw rig.  However,  the Orion is much better on SSB due to its full
spectrum audio  both on receive and transmit.

You can install the Inrad 2.8 SSB filters in the Omni 6+ in place of the
standard 2.4s,  and the audio then is very nice both on transmit and
receive. I have had both rigs and found the Omni 6+ was much simpler to
operate and lots of fun. It seemed to interface with my Centurion amp better
than the Orion,  as I got a popping noise in my speaker when the Centurion
unkeyed. No way to get rid of it.   This problem was explained to me as a
timing issue in the Orion.

Don' forget about antenna tuners.....the Orion may have one but the Omni 6+
does not and cannot.

Best thing to do is keep the Orion and buy a late production run Omni 6+ and
try it out before you let the Orion go.

You may want to contact Gary,  W7TEA,  as he now operates both rigs on cw
mostly, and can give you more specific information.