[TenTec] Noise Reduction Setting

Kim Elmore cw_de_n5op at sbcglobal.net
Mon Dec 4 22:51:41 EST 2006

Honestly, I don't think there is a significant problem.

Having fancied myself very picky about audio (I'm an amateur
violinist and was a borderline audiophile -- or audiophool -- in the
distant past), I just did a careful listen on some 40 m CW with both
the speaker and good headphones.

I have all the roofing filters installed, set for auto selection and
my CW pitch is 600 Hz. RF Gain is 100, preamp off, binaural rx
disabled, and sweep display both on and off. At bandwidths of less
than about 1240 Hz, all CW signals are silky smooth. At bandwidths
greater than 1240 Hz, I begin to detect some filter-imposed
artifacts. The effect is dependent upon the filter setting: the more
aggressive the filter setting, the more apparent the effect. Even so,
I consider it minor. What I hear sounds a bit like the noise around
the signal, but superimposed on the signal.

However, at bandwidths less than about 1240 Hz, everything is simply
silky smooth. I tend to run my bandwidth at 600 Hz. Yes, yes, I know:
the 1000 Hz filter may be a better choice from a rx performance
standpoint, but I like the "sound" at 600 Hz bandwidth.

I tried everything again with binaural rx enabled and found myself a
bit more able to detect the DSP artifacts, but I also became
convinced that at higher RF gain settings, the effect seemed to
disappear (I find myself more able to hear noise in stereo than in
mono. For me, stereo noise tends to have the aural effect of physical
width -- this may not be true for everyone).

When I turn down the RF gain and crank the audio gain wide open
(essentially using the RF Gain as the volume control) I can detect
the superimposed noise at NR settings above about 5 at 600 Hz
bandwidth. This effect vanishes when the bandwidth is set to ~400 Hz
or less. That said, at such RF Gain settings I see no reason to use
any NR because everything is pretty quiet.

So there you have it: while I could detect some DSP NR artifacts
under certain conditions, those conditions are currently outside of
my operating envelope. I don't think the "problem" is significant.

Kim Elmore, N5OP