[TenTec] Noise Reduction Setting

n4dsp n4dsp at triad.rr.com
Thu Dec 7 06:17:41 EST 2006

Ten-Tecs position is the NR will NOT increase gain but it
will increase the Signal to Noise ratio. The NR in my
Orion II works very well in this regard and I use it a fair
amount of the time. I did notice a substantial improvement
from version 2.034 to 2.037j. When using 2.034 and
setting the NR to 4 caused quite a bit of distortion and
on the 9 position it was unusable. This was greatly improved
with 2.037j and for "general" conditions I leave it set to 4
but I will set it to the 9 position in extreme condtions and it
will have some distortion which is understandable. I am a
happy camper with the dsp in the Orion II after using a rig
from another manufacturer which had dsp. The dsp in that rig was non-
existent except when set for elimination of ALL heterodynes
which cannot be used for CW only SSB.

73
john-n4dsp