[TenTec] OT: First voice broadcast a hoax?

Ron Notarius W3WN wn3vaw at verizon.net
Mon Dec 11 17:15:33 EST 2006

Ron,

I glanced at that link this morning.  Seems to me that the main thrust of
the article is that due to a lack of documentation, the author has his
doubts about Fessenden's claims.

However, it also struck me that the author was primarily unhappy that the
event wasn't documented to the heavy degree that something would be today.
As we don't now how extensively the author did his research, I'd question as
to whether or not the fact that he didn't find anything is in and of itself
a contradiction of Fessenden's claims.  And at the time the claims were
first made, I don't recall hearing of anyone who would have been around at
the time disputing them (which well could have happened, I grant you.)  It's
not on the same level as, say, KDKA's claim to be the "first" broadcaster,
which was not only disputed by other pioneer broadcast stations, but
ultimately isn't quite true (KDKA was issued the first government license to
broadcast, which is not the same thing, Westinghouse PR to the contrary).

So while I'd concede that there's some doubt cast, pending further data (and
not lack thereof), I'd say that claiming that Fessenden's transmission is a
hoax is going a bit too far.