[TenTec] OMNI D?

Carl Moreschi n4py at arrl.net
Fri Dec 15 11:31:50 EST 2006

First of all, by Omni D, the D just means that it has a digital display.  An
Omni A would mean it had an analog display.  There were the original Omni A
or Omni D, then there were follow ons with the series B and series C.  The
series C was only available in the digital version.  They were all excellent
radios on both CW and SSB except for the AGC.  They all used audio derived
AGC and on CW, when a very strong signal first appeared, the AGC could not
react to this and produced a very strong pop in the audio.  The cure for
this was to lower the RF gain until the pop was no longer heard.  Other than
this, the radios had excellent sounding audio on SSB on both transmit and
receive and excellent QSK for CW.

Also, try to get at least the serie B model.  The original series had no
provisions for CW IF filters.  It only had audio filtering beyond the 2.4
khz for CW filtering.

Carl Moreschi N4PY
121 Little Bell Drive
Bell Mountain