[TenTec] Arrl and code

joel hallas jrhallas at optonline.net
Sun Dec 17 10:09:10 EST 2006

Well folks, I've been biting my tounge (fingers?) for days but can't
stand it any more! I must remark in support of Carter's comment.
In terms of the folks who run the ARRL, I can say that they are
definately not anti-CW. In fact:

CEO, K1ZZ, is a very hot CW contester, DXer and DXpedition op who
understands and uses CW extensively and with great proficiency. It's the
only mode I've heard him on.
COO, WJ1B, works most modes, but I've only worked him on CW and he
certainly is a fine op.
Mgr of F&ES, N1NN, is an ex Navy radio op, and one of the best on CW
Mgr of MSD, N7NG, is a DXpedition op and CW contestor of long standing.
Sr. News Reporter, N1RL, regularly operates CW at 40 wpm from his car,
as well as from home.
Even the lowly QST Technical Editor is 90% a CW op and is usually on 40
CW on his way to Hq!

Of course there are others, both phone and CW ops, and I'm sure I've
left off some great CW op members of the Hq team, but I certainly take
issue with the statement that ARRL Hq leadership is "anti-CW." I know
that they were not happy at the FCC action. Nor were they happy about
much of the fone band increase.

73, Joel

Joel R. Hallas, W1ZR
Technical Editor, QST