[TenTec] Orion II Reviews?-Follow up

Grant Youngman nq5t at comcast.net
Sun Feb 5 18:55:26 EST 2006

> Does the 'MON' function work on the Orion II?

Yes.

If you were around here when the original Orion was released, you probably
notice how "quiet" the list is about bugs in the II.  For a time, it seemed
there were firmware updates coming out hours apart :-)  Maybe it's because
many of the guys who tend to hit the radio pretty hard (contesters, etc.)
and/or have a lot of technical/measurement skill are part of the Beta team,
and so they can't really comment.

I haven't found anything untoward, other than the topic I also think it's
time to get off of.  Others may have.

It will be interesting to see what's in the next update.  There's no
question that the 2.x platform is significantly more stable and bug free
than it's predecessor was at this point in its lifetime.  I hope someone
with the right lab gear will be able to sweep BDR and 2-tone 3rd order IMD
DR , and put out some charts soon -- to see what difference the new filter
arrangement makes with the narrow roofing filters.  Also, to see how the
CW/QSK keying characteristic differs, or if it differs -- something that
became a bone of contention in the 1.x firware releases, especially with
very high speed ops.

Grant/NQ5T